Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 1995 18:15:36 -0500
From:      Glen Foster <gfoster@osmre.gov>
To:        julian@tfs.com
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu, dbaker@concorde-mail.neosoft.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Virus Scanner

>   From: julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
>   Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 13:57:13 -0800 (PST)
>   Cc: dbaker@concorde-mail.neosoft.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
>   >
>   > Where can I get a virus for FreeBSD?
>    hmm I bet we would be susceptible to a bootblock virus.. ?

Well, most common PC boot block viruses know only about booting DOS
and, typically, reveal themselves by not honoring the boot select choice
the user makes.  When a client says "my computer won't boot Unix
anymore!" I always have them scan for a boot block virus and, almost
always, it has turned out they have one.

I would classify a boot block virus as a hardware virus rather than an
OS-specific one (although it will only propagate through DOS).

Glen Foster <gfoster@osmre.gov>