Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:06:32 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Erin Fortenberry <efortenb@sdccd.cc.ca.us>
Cc:        "'Justin Sheehy '" <justin@iago.org>, "'freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG '" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG '" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fxp SCB timeout problems, anyone have a solution?

>> I am having a major problem with a FreeBSD-4.3 machine.
>
>As did I.  I guess I should have looked at some of the earlier postings
>before I opend my mouth.  :-)
>
>> Is there any known fix for this?  All of the messages that I see on
>> the mailing list archives that have "solutions" involve switching out
>> the hardware for a different NIC.  As that would involve having the
>> machine shipped back home and then out again, this is very
>> undesirable.  I can usually keep the machine on the net for at least a
>> few minutes at a time before it hangs, so if anyone has any idea how I
>> could possibly fix this remotely I would be greatly appreciative.
>
>There is currently no fix for this. I went through the same thing about 2
>months ago with intel's newest i815 chipset MB. What I got from David
>Greenman is although the 82562 is seen as an fxp0 it was never tested. I had
>looked into this problem quiet a bit and forget exactly why it does not
>work, but it does not work. You might try upgrading to the newest stable.

   Jonathan Lemon looked into this problem extensively and found that there
was actually some bugs in the new chip that were responsible for the problem.
There were some Intel workarounds, which were implemented, but I don't think
they solved the problem for all versions of the new chips.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.