Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 1996 14:43:14 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD SCSI list)
Cc:        rama@easynet.fr (David Ramahefason)
Subject:   Re: Problems with an HP DAT 35480 A 1109

As David Ramahefason wrote:

> /kernel:st0(bt0:3:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:28, 0
> /kernel:st0(bt0:3:0): Not ready to transition, medium may have changed

That means the tape has changed.  Benign.

> and sometimes I get:
> /kernel:st0(bt0:3:0): HARDWARE FAILURE asc:44,0 Internal target failure

That's fatal.  However, i think only HP will be able to make sense out
of it.  I don't know WTH an internal target failure might be for them.
In case you're going to ask their tech support, do also provide the
number declared as `info' in the error message.  The 44,0 is the ASC
and ASCQ (additional sense code, and additional sense code qualifier
-- any person with SCSI knowledge should know this words), and the
info field is an additional field with an error-specific meaning.

> Present Mode:   Density = X3B5/88-185A Blocksize variable

That's fine.  Use it as it is.

> Where is the problem ? Is the tape drive dead ?

As for the internal target failures, maybe.  Your attempt to use the
drive with a large fixed block size has been in error, however.  Don't
do this.  See my other mail.

--
cheers, J"org