Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 20:27:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bt848 Missing frames fix

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> I've also noticed the occasional case where the system seems to lock
> up pretty tight.

I haven't been able to convince my system to lock up ever when using the
bt. P133, ASUS T2P4, PCI IDE, SCSI, Ethernet, 40mb RAM, Mach64, WinCast.
Still haven't gotten 24 bit color working right -- I'll send our notes out
later.

> In my case, it seems to be related to having fxtv's view window resized
> to something between the default "small" size, and full size and having
> a marginal input signal.  It might be related to occasional loss-of-sync
> sort of provocation, but its not real clear.  In my case, I don't recall
> still seeing live pictures on the display, but the box hasn't reset; I'm
> still hearing the audio through the soundcard mixer.

I know that bouncing the signal around (ie rapidly changing channels) will
sometimes cause the tv to freeze, but changing it again resets it all.  (I
did this for the first time yesterday, changing channels a bit faster than
my real televisions can do it!)

> Also, as I've mentioned to Randall, I think that the even/odd fields are
> interchanged.  Someone else mentioned this before, and it seems
> noticable if you look at text and graphical objects on the tv broadcast.
> I recall looking at this a little while ago, and I thought that the
> way the RISC program were being built had the wrong field (even or odd?)
> starting off in the memory buffer.  Is it just me, or is anyone else
> noticing this?

That was me, I think.  I suppose we could swap the even/odd reads and see
if the image looks any different. I can check it by clicking over to the
Weather Channel or watching ESPN or any matter of channels with lots of
graphics.  Oh, don't look at ME to do that.