Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:29:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: buildworld breakage due to cross-tools/libc/mktemp.

In article <20000112211625.A21988@dragon.nuxi.com>,
David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 07:00:01PM -0800, John Polstra wrote:
>
> > I _really_ don't like it when a program reaches waaaaaaay over into an
> > unrelated directory for its sources.
>
> We already do that all over the place.  :-)

We do it in a few places, but not many.  That doesn't make it a good
practice, anyway.  Those few places where it is done have been
responsible for more than their share of unpleasant surprises in the
form of make world breakage.

> > I'd rather have a few duplicated sources.
>
> I dissagree.  Then we have the problem of fixing a PR/bug in one source
> but not the other.

Such duplicated routines should be few in number and simple in
function.  Compilers don't need much support from the underlying
OS.  All they do is read files, perform various transformations on
them, and write out the results.  You don't need anything beyond what
ANSI/ISO C provides to accomplish that.

It is not ideal to have some duplicated code, but the alternative is
worse.

> The use/making of temperary files is already a security issue.  I
> can just see it happen that someone fixes a problem with one copy of
> the source and then we find we still have some vulerabiltity because
> the second copy wasn't known/found/fixed.

Come on, this is the compiler we're talking about.  I seriously doubt
there are any real-life security issues there.  If there are, then you
duplicate mkstemp.  Surely it isn't such a complicated function that
that can't be done reliably.

John