Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 03:51:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: auto dma?

Luigi Rizzo stands accused of saying:

> the intel data sheet for the i82371 (also known as PIIX), a PCI chipset
> which implements a number of standard isa devices including timer and
> dma controller, is available at the intel site (www.intel.com).
>
> Although it probably is not exactly the same as the original 8237, it
> myght still give some ideas on what to do.

It almost certainly uses a "real" 8237 macrocell, so it's likely to
behave as near to identically as can be expected.

> The main problem with old
> peripherals is that they often did not allow a safe reading of 16-bit
> registers such as counters, which can be incremented while you read the
> two pieces. I don't know if this affected the original 8237, but sure
> was a problem with some old PC timer.

It was?  Unless I'm muchly mistaken, even the 8253 supports the
counter latch command.  Our gear is full of 8254's; I have bad
nightmares every time I have to work on the code that manages them,
but for all that they're not _that_ bad.

> Finally, if someone is familiar with Linux or NetBSD kernel
> (specifically for the isa routines) let me know.

Uh, "sorta" (NetBSD).  Probably not to the level that you are after though.