Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:51:37 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   palm/pilot-link and hier(7)

As some of you may be aware, palm/pilot-link is one of those
horrible little ports that doesn't respect hier(7), and installs
everything under ${LOCALBASE}/pilot/{bin,include,lib,...}

Normally, I wouldn't mind so much, only I've come across a subtle
problem.

  1.  install pilot-link.. ldconfig gets carried out on
      ${LOCALBASE}/pilot/lib so the shared libraries are available

  2.  build a port that depends on the shared library above.
      It will work.

  3.  reboot the machine.  re-perform step 2.  It will try and
      install pilot-link again, because it can't find the
      shared library, because it's not in the standard pathname
      list.

Now, I can think of a few ways around this:

(a) fix pilot-link to respect hier(7) and install in
    bin, include/pilot-link, lib, share/pilot-link etc...

    This is my preferred solution, I'm prepared to do the
    hackery, and at least get the gnomepilot ports hacked about
    to work with the proper set up, though others will need to
    work on the other ports.

(b) have a post-install target on pilot-link install a bunch
    of symlinks from /usr/local/pilot/lib/lib* to /usr/local/lib

    This is what lesstif does, and is horrible (IMO).

(c) Do nothing.  Ok, I lied, this won't fix things. :)

Thoughts?  Comments?

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			ade@FreeBSD.org