Date:      Sun, 3 Jul 2022 12:11:31 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <freebsd-rj@cyclaero.com>
Cc:        John Kennedy <warlock@phouka.net>, David Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RPI4 + ntpdate + unbound

On 2022-Jul-3, at 11:22, Dr. Rolf Jansen <freebsd-rj@cyclaero.com> =
wrote:

> . . .
> I am still surprised why we get the NVIDIA Tegra compiled in the =
kernel of a 13.1-RELEASE SD card image which according to its file name =
is destined to the Raspberry Pi's.

So far as I am aware, the 13.1-RELEASES (and other built images,
like snapshots) always contain the generic FreeBSD (non-debug or
debug as appropriate). The only tailoring is extra, generally
non-FreeBSD material required to have a booting context.

For RPi*'s that is RPi* firmware, U-Boot, and the FreeBSD loader
in the right place for the RPi*.

I use such to advantage to boot multiple machines from the same
USB media. For example, a Rock64 and various RPi*'s. This works
because the Rock64 U-Boot/whatever-else and RPi* U-Boot do not
interfere with each other when both are installed. (Unusual for
U-Boot and related.)

The same media also boots and operates the MACCHIATObin Double
Shot (using UEFI/ACPI) and the HoneyComb (also using UEFI/ACPI).

Notes:

The amount of space for U-Boot and such that goes outside
a file system does vary but FreeBSD has not standardized on so
much room on all images that all the possibilties would fit for
a U-Boot replacement. Thus the above ability to switch around
by outside-file-system U-Boot replacement is somewhat limited.

It at least used to be that images like Rock64 also
contained the RPi* firmware and such, if I remember right.
As I remember, I started with the Rock64 image in order
to have the single-media based Rock64/RPi* support. That
made sure it had the right amount of room for the outside
any file system U-Boot/whatever-else for the Rock64.

But . . .
The first stage able to deal with the USB3 on the Rock64
is the FreeBSD kernel (that must then have already been
loaded and operating). So my USB3 based booting sequence
does not fit the above description --and these days is
my normal way to boot the Rock64. Still, the same USB3
media is used, there just is more on some other media
for getting to the point of the kernel operating.
(That USB3 media is also valid for USB2 use and so is
used for both styles of boot.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com