Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 20:40:14 -0800
From:      Wes Santee <wespop@bogon.net>
To:        Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Solution: Re: 2nd SCSI drive not detected. Why?

Just FYI.  I'm not sure which or both of these did the trick, but after
doing the following, the drive was detected by the OS:

1)  Turn off SCAM on the adapter.
2)  Manually set the SCSI ID on the new drive to 1 (was being SCAM'd to ID 15).

The termination settings, as it turns out, were all correct.  Thanks for
your suggestions everyone.

The original message is listed below for reference.  I didn't mention SCAM
because I didn't think it was a big deal.

Cheers,
-Wes

----------
Hi all.  I wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone last night so I
upgraded my 3.0-release to 3.0-stable and installed a new hard drive.

The stable upgrade was fairly smooth, but adding the new drive didn't
go so well.  I'm not sure if this is a -stable thing, or I need to
do something else.

The drives are hooked up to an Adaptec 2940UW.  The main drive is
hooked up to the SCSI-2 (50-pin) internal connector at SCSI ID 0,
while the new drive is a Seagate 9.1GB SCSI-3 hooked up to the
68-pin internal connector at SCSI ID 15.

The controller detects the drive just fine.  The OS, on the other
hand, doesn't.

While FreeBSD is booting it detects that a cable is present on both
internal connectors.  It also detects that there are 3 BIOS drives
(floppy, both SCSI drives), but it fails to actually map da1 to the
drive itself.

Is there something else I need to be doing here to get the OS to
recognize the drive correctly?