Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:22:33 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, matrix@liwing.de, schorsch@liwing.de, rifter@liwing.de, "."@babolo.ru
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/misc/mc

Max Khon wrote:

> hi, there!
>
> I would like to take /usr/ports/misc/mc maintainership and make the following
> change to the default mc build:
>
> - enable WITH_SLANG by default (and rename WITH_SLANG -> WITHOUT_SLANG)
>         this will enable internal editor
I like the vi - I do not want the internal editor by default.
Futhermore I like the behaviour of apache13 options, so I recommend
renaming either WITH_SLANG -> WITH_MIDC_SLANG or WITHOUT_SLANG -> WITHOUT_MIDC_SLANG.

> - remove patches that rename mc binary to midc, leaving symlink
> midc -> mc for backward compatibility
mc is IMHO really short (sometime I type it instead of mv), midc (if known)
is much better. Ok, there's no reason support "to stupid to type guys" like me,
but's nice :-)

> 99% questions from newbies are about internal editor and strange mc naming.
Look to linux what's happend when newbies are falling in, and now tell:
do you really want it?

> Because these changes are rather intrusive I decided to ask here before
> committing. Please reply directly (I am not subscribed).
Is it allowed that people who are able to commit ports are not subscribed to
ports mailing list?

Jens
> /fjoe

L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W
L     i   W   W W   W   i  nnn    gggg    LiWing IT-Services
L     i    W W   W W    i  n  n  g   g
LLLL  i     W     W     i  n  n  g   g    Friesenstraße 2
                                  gggg    06112 Halle
                                 g   g
Tel.:  +49 - 3 45 - 5 17 05 91    ggg     e-Mail: <rehsack@liwing.de>
Fax:   +49 - 3 45 - 5 17 05 92            http://www.liwing.de/