Date:      Sun, 09 Mar 1997 13:06:06 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone on the list who can check-in the bt848 driver?

Hi,
> The tuner code needs to be generalized before it can be generally available.
>
> o support STB vs WinCast we should try to make as easy as possible to
>   identify the various tuners. I know that that the linux driver does
>   this or it attempts to do it. A similar scheme plus assistance from
>   the application should be provided. For instance, if the driver
>   fails to recognized the appropiate tuner, the application should
>   provide an option to chose the correct tuner.

I'll look into this, but it can wait till after the initial ci.

---
> o the open call now ignores a second open so a second application can
>   alter the video capture parameters for the first client.
>   We should probably adopt a minor version scheme to isolate tuner
>   specific control from the video capture driver.

agreed, but this can wait till after a ci.

---
> o Broadcast vs Cable Broadcast. At the very least the application should
>   provide a mechanism to chose from either.

my tuner code in the kernel tracks this and my xtvremote now has
a button for toggling between the 2.  Amancio, have you verified that
my code for cable tuning works (I don't have cable)?

---
> o Whenever possible we should not alter the meteor device structure ,
>   all required changes should be isolated to the bt848 driver.

I had to add a structure for the tuner.  I see alot of uneeded stuff
in ioctl_meteor.h.  Why wouldn't we want to completely divorce
ourselves from it?  ie create an ioctl_bt848.h, change all "METEORXXX"
to "BT848XXX", etc.

---
> So I really would like to have the base driver checked in so others
> can start working on the driver. If this is a thorny situation please
> check in whatever you guys feel like . I am really too busy with work
> to manage this effort;hence, what a wonderful opportunity for you guys 8)

I am just suggesting a cleanup pass be made first so that we don't
have a bunch of unnecessary deltas in the beginning.  I could have this ready
by this evening.

Amancio, where do I find your latest version to do this to?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            SMP FreeBSD