Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:38:44 +1000
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Invalidating pack messages

Thus spake Don Lewis (Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com):

> If your seeing funny blinking lights on the drive, and you are not the only
> person having problems with this particular drive model, I would be very
> suspicious that a drive firmware bug is being tickled.  The best solution
> in this case would be to obtain a better version of the firmware from the
> vendor, but lacking that you might try turning off tagged command queueing
> or just reducing the number of tagged openings.  I've noticed interactions
> between tagged command queueing and write caching on Seagate drives, so you
> might try turning off write caching and leaving the number of tagged
> openings alone.  You can do all this with camcontrol.

This morning I disabled write back caching in the SCSI BIOS, and the machine
has been copying files here and there for ~7 hours now with no problems at
all. As you say the performance difference is pretty much negligible.

I'm going to leave the machine copying and rm'ing files all weekend to make
sure this all is OK, but at this stage it appears disabling write caching has
fixed the problem (or at least worked around it).

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Nick.