Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 14:31:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconned.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dd -- will this work??

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Randy DuCharme wrote:

> THE GOAL:
>    Add new Hard Disk -> need more space for FBSD!
>
> THE SETUP:
>    sd0 == 2.1G Seagate Barracuda (wide) / WINNT 4.0
>    sd1 == 1.0G Quantum SCSI II / FBSD
> THE PLAN:
>    1: Add new disk ( IBM ULTRASTAR ES ultra-wide ) as sd2.
>    2: Move ( copy ) NT to sd2.
>    3: Replace sd1 with the Seagate and install FBSD on it.
>
> THE QUESTION:
>
>    Can I use dd to move the NT installation from one disk to another
> with something like....
>
>     dd if=/dev/rfd0 of=/dev/rfd2
>
> and expect to succeed?

That exact command, no; you'll copy your first floppy disk to your third.
:)

Unless both disks are exactly the same size, I can't say for sure if a
direct copy will work.  I think it would be better to temporarily remove
your current NT disk, reinstall to the destination disk, then move over
configuration and whatnot through NT.  After you get done you can kill
your old NT partition and stick FreeBSD in.

Or, back up your NT partition to tape, reinstall and restore the tape on
the destination disk. This is how I moved my DOS partitions from my 1gb to
a 540mb (leaving some stuff on the tape).

There are other ways no doubt.  I think that dd is too crude for such an
operation though, especially considering boot blocks and such.