Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 95 18:26:00 EDT
From:      HOLTFORSTER Jason <jholtforst@shl.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@freebsd.org>

Hello,

Please forgive me if my questions are obvious, stupid etc.

I am new to the UNIX world.
I would like to learn some of the basics of UNIX.
I am interested in running UNIX on my PC at home.
I have an AMD DX2/66 with 8MB RAM.
I have a NEC IDE CDROM drive.
I have Windows 3.1 installed - hence very little free disk space.
I would like to know more about FreeBSD!

I have a question regarding this section of the FreeBSD documentation:

>Hardware Requirements:
>Standard ISA, EISA, VL, or PCI bus based PC (386sx to Pentium class),
>4 meg ram (8MB recommended.)  You need a minimum of 60MB of disk space
>for binary only system, and 700MB for everything.

700MB is a big chunk of anyone's HD!
Can you give me a breakdown of how much HD space will be required for a
bare-bones
UNIX environment that I can use to learn a bit about UNIX in my spare time.

Since I use Windows 3.1 at work this will still be my main OS, however I
would like to
learn how to write shell scripts, use VI etc etc.

I understand that there are modules like TCP, SCSI, ISDN etc etc that I do
not
have to install to save me some HD space.

Are there other 'UNIX on a PC' packages which are more suitable for me?

Will Windows 3.1 (Windows 95) co-exist with FreeBSD.

What is 'Rock Ridge CDROM support'?

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have concerning FreeBSD.

Thank you

Jason