Date:      Tue, 19 May 2015 21:17:39 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        dave@sopwith.solgatos.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to use clang/head and XCC

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 01:35:32PM -0700, Dave Seifert wrote:
> sean typed:
> > No documentation of what CFLAGS are required to build and ignore warnin=
gs.
>=20
> Are you *sure* that ignoring those warnings is a good idea?
>=20
> Brooks typed:
> > In principle clang could be used as the cross compiler
> > since it's multi-target, but gcc could never work unless the host and
> > target are the same.
>=20
> I have compiled NetBSD/alpha on FreeBSD/amd64 using gcc and it worked fin=
e.

A single gcc binary will only allow you to build for one target so you
could only use the same gcc for bootstrap tools and the target if they
happen to be the same.  We could support external compilers for both cases,
but that's not what I implemented with the X* cross tool support.

-- Brooks

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3--