Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 21:15:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   /etc/pccard_ether reprise

Hi All-

As several people have pointed out to me, the correct use
of the pccard_ifconfig line is:

pccard_ifconfg="inet 111.222.333.444 netmask 255.255.255.0"

Based on my reading of the manpage and prior experience with
FreeBSD on desktops and PAO, that you still needed an
ifconfig_${interface} entry in rc.conf.  This blinded me to
what was going on (reading pccard_ether the wrong way). I
think this makes more sense (ie, letting pccardd pick up
the interface of the day and any link/media type flags
and letting pccard_ifconfig do the nitty gritty).

May I suggest a minor change to the manpage for rc.conf to
better elaborate on the proper usage of this.
     pccard_ifconfig
                   (str) List of ethernet devices (e.g.  ed0 ed1 ep0 ...)
                   which should be dynamically ifconfig'd on insertion or
                   boot.

Maybe something like:
     pccard_ifconfig
                   (str) IP set up for a dynamically attached iterface
                   (e.g. "inet 127.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0").  The
                   relevant entry in /etc/ppcard.conf yields the
                   interface and any adapter specific flags.

Thanks