Date:      Sun, 09 Apr 1995 04:08:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ports hackers wanted!

> (1) Make pkg_create or pkg_add able to "register" a package from the
>     ports directory by looking into pkg/PLIST.  We can then call this
>     from the "install" rule in bsd.port.mk so that the user can
>     pkg_delete it later.

I'll do this.  It's easy.

> (2) Add some way to include the dependency information (usually
>     LIB_DEPENDS, maybe EXEC_DEPENDS too but this one is harder 'cause
>     it may be required only for compilation) into the package so that
>     pkg_add will check for the existences and print out messages
>     advising users to fetch additional packages.  This would be a
>     great enhancement over the current "ld.so: libfoo not found"
>     solution. :)

I won't do this.  It's not easy.. :-)

Actually, I might do this.  I can see a hack..  Maybe not a big one..
Let me get back to you on this! :-)

> There's already someone working on this (tkpkg).  I also need to take
> a look at pkg_manage.  Jordan claims to have a better version. :)

tkpkg needs to be adopted and improved.  It's currently ownerless, AFAIK!

I don't have a better version of pkg_manage YET, I've only looked at
pre-releases.  Marc van Kempen is working on that and hopes to have
something committed soon - it's his baby, not mine! :)