Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 21:49:12 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        jasonak@direct.ca
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [jasonak@direct.ca: How to become a FreeBSD mirror?]

On 15 May 99, at 0:22, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> Greetings,

Hi ya!  My only credentials are that I run one of the ftp mirrors under
nz.freebsd.org and www.nz.freebsd.org.  Apart from that, I know little
abour running mirrors.

> Internet Direct is interested in offering an FTP mirror for FreeBSD.

WOO HOO!  The more the better!

> Could you provide me with details on how this can be accomplished?

What I did is documented at http://www.freebsddiary.org/freebsd/mirror.htm
but looking at that URL now, I think it's wrong.  If memory serves, I
actually installed cvsup-mirror-1.0, not mirror.

I use rsync to keep the ftp mirror in sync.  Everything else is covered by
the cvsup-mirror port.  One important thing about ftp mirrors: it's good
to be standard.  That allows your distributions to be listed at
http://www.itworks.com.au/~gavin/FBSDsites.php3 which I consider to be a
valuable resource.

To get something like ftp?.ca.freebsd.org, you should find out who
administers ca.freebsd.org and contact them.  A quick dig:

# dig ca.freebsd.org

; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> ca.freebsd.org
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      ca.freebsd.org, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
ca.freebsd.org.         1D IN SOA       gw.esys.ca.
hostmaster.ca.freebsd.org. (

So I'd tried hostmaster@esys.ca and see what you get.

> Our
> connectivity consists of DS-3s to UUNet and Sprint and OC-3 peering with
> the regional CA*netII GigaPOP here in Vancouver, British Columbia.

FWIW, nobody ever asked me what my connectivity was.  Now I'm afraid they
will...<grin>

--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/