Date:      Sat, 07 Feb 1998 10:13:37 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More NFS Problems

Evan Champion writes:

> I am always able to recover the system without rebooting by killing the
> offending processes and restarting them.  However, each of my systems does
> not run a large number of different tasks, so it is relatively easy to guess
> what to kill on each system.  On a larger system, it might be just a lot
> easier to restart.
>
> Irrespective, I don't think it should be doing that :-)

Me too. I don't have this problem with Solaris or Irix NFS. Even if
the filesystem is busy, "umount -k /filesystem" will close it in Irix,
even if the remote system is not responding. But I don't think its just
offending processes keeping the system blocked in FreeBSD. I used to put
NFS mounts in /etc/fstab without the noauto option until I got tired of
"df" blocking forever if the server was not responding. Have never been
able to umount a non-responding NFS fs on FreeBSD short of a reboot.

Currently I use amd to mount NFS filesystems. Replace what used to be
the mount point with a symbolic link to /host/{hostname}/{filesystem}
and it works as it always has.