Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 01:46:16 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Ernie Elu <ernie@spooky.eis.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem race with Multilink PPP

This is a known problem (well, to me anyway).

Ppp will attempt to bind() a local domain socket when MP is
established.  If bind() fails, it'll try to connect(), otherwise
it'll try to listen().  If two processes are doing this at the same
time, one bind() succeeds, but the connect() of the failed process
happens before the servers listen() and fails :-(

You can stagger the connects by changing the last line of your config

  link 1 set mode ddial
  link 2 set mode interactive

and then in ppp.linkup:

  link * set mode ddial

Now if someone could tell me how to defeat the above race....

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>