Date:      Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:56:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Heffner <mheffner@vt.edu>
To:        Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: libutil diff

On 06-Dec-2000 Chris Faulhaber wrote:
|  For today's diff, we present libutil:
|
|  - sprintf() -> snprintf()
|  - do not attempt to manipulate a malloc()'d struct if it is NULL
|  - strcpy() -> strlcpy()
|
|  I could not find any limits/restrictions on the variables used in
|  the corrected sprintf()/strcpy() calls, so these seem safer.

[snip]

|  Index: pty.c
|  ===================================================================
|  RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/lib/libutil/pty.c,v
|  retrieving revision 1.10
|  diff -u -r1.10 pty.c
|  --- pty.c    1999/08/28 00:05:51     1.10
|  +++ pty.c    2000/12/06 15:05:31
|  @@ -87,7 +87,7 @@
|                                       *amaster = master;
|                                       *aslave = slave;
|                                       if (name)
|  -                                            strcpy(name, line);
|  +                                            strlcpy(name, line,
sizeof(name));

name is a char* passed into the function, so therefore sizeof(name) == 4

The manpage states:

    If the argument name is not NULL, openpty() copies the pathname of the
    slave pty to this area.  The caller is responsible for allocating the re-
    quired space in this array.

I think it should also mention the length required for name (ie. sizeof(line)).

--
  Mike Heffner     <mheffner@vt.edu>
  Blacksburg, VA         ICQ# 882073