Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:06:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, John Baldwin <jobaldwi@smtp2.erols.com>
Subject:   Re: Linear buffers in VESA screen modes

On 29-Jul-99 Andrew Gordon wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, John Baldwin wrote:
>> On 29-Jul-99 Andrew Gordon wrote:
>> >
>> > Sure.  It's rather crude at present, but I've put it up at:
>> >
>> > http://www.arg1.demon.co.uk/vesatv.c
>>
>> My wincast tv card seemed to work w/o your patch to vesa.c.  Although I
>> don't
>> think it set the resolution right.  I need to get to somewhere that I can
>> get
>> to more than just static though. :)
>
> Are you running -current?  It was pointed out to me that -current already
> contains code equivalent to my patch for -stable (I must have been blind
> when I looked at the cvs diff and didn't see it).

# uname -a
FreeBSD john.baldwin.cx 3.2-STABLE FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE #3: Thu Jul  1 21:08:59
EDT 1999     root@john.baldwin.cx:/usr/source/src/sys/compile/JOHN  i386

> On your 'resolution' problem, did you change it for NTSC?  My code is
> hard-wired for PAL and the WEUROPE channel set on the tuner - changes
> for NTSC should be obvious.

Nope. :)  That helped a lot.  However, it seems to be displaying 640x400 in a
640x480 window.  Ahh.. I found the problem, my mode 0x112 is 32bpp instead of
24bpp.  A little quick hacking fixed that.  Works perfect!

>> Once I do, I may try and add some support for changing channels and what
>> not,
>> if you don't mind.
>
> Do whatever you like!

It looks like I'll also be adding code to auto-detect the color depth and
adjust accordingly.

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc