Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 21:24:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brian <signal@shreve.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ne2000 PCMCIA, does it work?

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Brian wrote:

> I am trying to install FreeBSD on a laptop that has a ne2000 PCMCIA card,
> but I can't get FreeBSD to recognize the card.
>
> I read that if you set the irq for ed0 to -1, it will use the soft
> values........this is really what I need to do, since I really don't know
> the io address or irq of the card, and there is no way to set that
> information.  When FreeBSD install disk boots, and it prompts you to enter
> irq, io base info for your hardware, it will not allow me to enter -1!!
> In the book it says this is valid for ed0.

You have to use the command-line interface.  This also assumes that your
PCMCIA ethernet card supports this type of behavior.

The way I usually try to deal with this is to use the card's setup program
and fix the IRQ and port that way, then tell the card driver the settings
you fed to the card.

> I also tried to install by using a serial link (null modem cable) to my
> linux box, which DOES have a cdrom.  I nfs exported /cdrom world, the PPP
> LCP negotiates on both ends, the interface comes up no errors, the routes
> are added at both ends.  I can't ping the FreeBSD laptop however........I
> did a tcpdump on the ppp interface from the linux machine, and I can see
> my pings going out over it, but nothing returned.  I also didnt see any
> nfs activity.

I've always had trouble getting point to point nets working with FreeBSD.
I need to do some more research on the topic, I guess.

> Does the minimal kernel of FreeBSD on the install floppy have simple tcp
> services such as ping enabled?

Absolutely.  You can do net installs no problem -- I do all the time.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo