Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:01:20 PDT
From:      "Bob McGrath" <bobmcgrath@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Complex Dial-up Routing

I have ISDN and an Analog attached to my FreeBSD IP-routing system.
What I'm trying to do is have a 24-hour 28.8Kbps analog connection, but
when more bandwidth is needed, I would like the system to automatically
switch and dial using my separate ISDN modem.  And then disconnect after
5 minutes of inactivity (ISDN only, analog would stay connected.)

I would greatly appreciate it if you would assist me in setting this (to
me) rather complex configuration up.

Again (for clarification), here's what I'm trying to do:
- The system will maintain a constant or dedicated 28.8 connection
- When either the FreeBSD server or another computer on my LAN uses the
internet and in doing so surpasses the 28.8's bandwidth, I'd like the
computer to connect using the ISDN modem.
- Then, after 5 minutes of inactivity, I'd like the ISDN to disconnect
and the analog to connect again.  Or, if possible, the analog would have
remained connected the whole time.  (I'm not sure whether in order to
connect the ISDN one would have to disconnect the analog 28.8.  If this
is necessary, that's OK.)

If you have any questions, please ask.

Thanks so much for your time in this problem,
Robert McGrath