Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 10:25:48 -0500
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@ver1.telmex.net.mx>
To:        Luiz de Barros <luiz@nlink.com.br>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, support@etinc.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cabling problems with etinc?

Luiz de Barros wrote:

> Dear ALL,
>
> We purchased an Etinc 5025PQ PCI quad syncronous E1/T1/Fractional card and
> are havind a few problems putting it to work with more than 64Kbps.
> We have a 256Kbps fractional E1 link provided by the TELCO via an HDSL
> Termination Unit and a G.703 to V.35 E1 converter.
>
> We would like to make a FreeBSD router, connecting our various networks
> and holding our connection to internet.
>
> The whole setup works fine with a cisco on the other side and IBM, Cisco
> and Cyclades routers here at our ISP (Same CSU/DSU cable, connecting the
> V.35 cable with the V.35 DTE cable from the router ). Etinc keeps saying
> it is a clable problem, CSU/DSU problem, but how does it work with any
> router?
Why would you want to connect your etinc card to/through your cisco?
Isn't that defeating the purpose?  What I would want, would be remove
the cisco or if it were necessary for another connection use ethernet
between it and my FreeBSD ROUTER.  Maybe I'm on another channel, and
if I am please desregard the question.

ed

P.D.  I think the problem is cable incompatability.  I think Dennis once
made that observation on the list.