Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:10:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: secondary ACPI  problems

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> Nate Lawson writes:
>  > On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>  > > This does not happen if I do not have rp.ko loaded.  I suspect that
>  > > the rocketport card needs some setup when power is restored.   It
>  > > polls all its ports, so it makes sense that a swi would get clogged.
>  > >
>  > > I thought it might be sufficent to unload the driver and reload after
>  > > resume.  However, it doens't appear to be unloadable now.
>  > >
>  > > Before I get too far into this,  will unloading rp and reloading it
>  > > suffice, or is there a better way which could just allow me to save
>  > > and restore the card state so I wouldn't have to reload it on resume?
>  >
>  > See the device_suspend/resume implementations in various drivers
>  > (i.e. rl(4)).
>
> Wow, what a blast from the past! ;)

I am trying to eliminate a backlog of email.  I can only manage actually
reading cvs-src and developers it seems.

> Shouldn't a driver without a suspend/resume implementation implicitly
> veto the suspend?  That's how OS-X does it.

Currently the default is null_suspend which returns 0 (i.e. "ok").  You
could create a new default, refuse_suspend and then go to all drivers and
add an explicit call to null_suspend but I'm not sure this is the best
idea.

> Anyway, I'll worry about this when/if somebody can tell me how to get
> my video back after suspending to S3:
>
> none2@pci1:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x7106174b chip=0x54461002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'ATI Technologies'
>     device   = 'Rage 128 Pro AGP 4x'
>     class    = display

Sorry, I have no knowledge of video hw except that it does need to be
reset on suspend.

-Nate