Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:39:31 -0500
From:      Chris Cook <ccook@tcworks.net>
To:        Hug Me <hugme@hugme.org>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk Quotas

Hug Me wrote:

> disk quotas effect a user on a partition... I can't tell you the number
> of security problems you have by puting var under usr but if that
> is the way youwant to do it...
>
> when you set up quotas with the edquota just don't set quota's on what
> you are saving your log files as and the entry for that user won't even
> be in  your quota file.
>
> also just as a suggestion I run a cronjob at 3 in the morning every morning
> that does a quotacheck. it makes my life 100X easier and does a wonderful
> job at fixing the little quota inconsistancies. also if you are going to
> have a LOT of users on your system (more than 1000) you should take the
> quotacheck out of your boot script (it is there by default) this will
> speed up your boot just in case your system goes down. I was working
> on a system with 100,000 users and after the secound time of the
> boot taking 45 minuites that got changed QUICK.

Thank you for your response.  Can you explain the security risks of
having /var under /usr?  I should be more knowledgable but I'm
constantly learning!  Also,  it is not a matter of the log files being
under the quota, the user's pop mail is stored under /var/mail
(/usr/var/mail).  What is happening is that users have a 20MB quota on
their /home directories but that is also affecting the size of their pop
box.  Say if they have 10MB worth of email, when they check it, the pop
daemon writes it into a temp file which then doubles the size of files
under their quota to 20MB+, thus they are out of space and cannot check
their email because the daemon returns an error (exceeded quota).  I
want to make /var/mail (/usr/var/mail) not under the same quota
restrictions as (/usr/home).  I am not running quotacheck at startup, I
already read in the handbook that you should do it via cron.  Thanks for
all your help, like I said I learn more and more every day.

--
Chris

|Chris Cook - Admin     |TCWORKS.NET - http://www.tcworks.net |
|The Computer Works ISP |FreeBSD - http://www.freebsd.org     |