Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:55:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.2.0 core dumps on exit

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, 6XGate wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:12:15 -0500
> From: 6XGate <sixgate@mchsi.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: XFree86 4.2.0 core dumps on exit
>
> When I exit X Window regaurdless of the desktop or program.  XFree86
> always core dumps.  The following log file is from using the default set
> of X startup clients (twm, 3 xterms, and xclock).  This log file also
> reflects what I see on screen after exiting.  This does get anoying
> having to delete core dumps after leaving X.
>
> ----- Log File -----
>
> XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
> Release Date: 18 January 2002

<major snippage>

> (WW) fcntl(6, F_SETOWN): Inappropriate ioctl for device

From the fcntl(2) man page:

F_SETOWN Set the process or process group to receive SIGIO and SIGURG
	 signals; process groups are specified by supplying arg as neg­
	 ative, otherwise arg is interpreted as a process ID.

Perhaps the owner/group of the X binaries isn't exactly correct? Just a
shot in the dark.

/*
 * John Bleichert
 * syborg@stny.rr.com