Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2020 17:55:13 +0100
From:      Domagoj =?UTF-8?Q?Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87?= <rank1seeker@gmail.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [t]csh => Pass var containing multiline string to an alias

Yo Crew ..., so ...
I want to pass variable containing multiline string to an alias, so it woul=
d also be multiline string.

Var first:
--
set t_var=3D'a\
b'

So far so good, now alias:
Double quotes are mandatory, else all ends up at 1 line
--
alias t_name    "aa $t_var bb"
--

Manual replacement:
--

Results in:
# alias t_name

Exactly what I want ...

Going back to var in order to make it, to be expanded with additional \
--
set t_var=3D'a\\
b'

And that is exactly a string which I've manually replaced above.
After # source /.cshrc
Unmatched '"'.

What is going on?
I've tried adding many \'s and playing wit all types of quotes in all kind =
of combinations just to find out I've lost 4 hours on something like THIS!

Am I completely missing something totally obvious?!?

PS: version tcsh 6.20.00 (Astron) 2016-11-24 (i386-intel-FreeBSD) options w=
ide,nls,dl,al,kan,sm,rh,color,filec

Domagoj Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87