Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:16:53 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Joerg Pulz <Joerg.Pulz@frm2.tum.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another 5.3-BETA2 problem

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 02:00:13PM +0200, Joerg Pulz wrote:

> after remove -O2 i got world build.
> after installworld installkernel, the kernel comes up and when init should
> get started, i get /bin/sh PID xxx exited (core dumped).
> after that i tried boot -v and the system came up without any problems but
> instead of the login prompt i get only 'SSSSS' which is repeated after
> some time infinitely.

The 'S' is from 'Sep 1 hh:mm:ss hostname ...'. It's a kernel message.
Unfortunately, the serial line is flushed before you get to see more
than just the S. This typically seems to happen when the console is
closed at about the same time (i.e. when a process exits). In your
case it's probably a message that tells that /sbin/init died or maybe
/sbin/getty.

If you don't get a login prompt, make sure you enable getty on the
serial device that you use as the console. Boot -s and edit /etc/ttys.

> so i downloaded 5.3-BETA2-ia64-miniinst.iso and reinstalled everything.
> installation was fine, but after the reboot during the service startup i
> get some "html" output and as mentioned above, some 'SSS' instead of the
> login prompt. after a short while the system panics with no useful 'where'
> output.
>
> has anybody seen the same or can explain this?

It helps to send dmesg output and everything else you can capture from
the serial console. We don't emit html in the kernel, so I don't know
what you mean with ''i get some "html" output'' and since the kernel
can panic in varying ways, it also helps to show us the actual panic.