Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 1995 23:36:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD dx4-100 - Any good?

On Mon, 4 Sep 1995, Stephen Hocking wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience running the AMD DX4-100 under FreeBSD - are
> there any gotcha's (like having to disable internal caches or downright
> incompatibility). What do people know about htis beast - does it have a math
> copro on board and how does it benchmark compared to an Intel DX2-66?
>

> 	Stephen

I just bought an AMD DX4-100 two days ago to replace my old Cyrix DX2/66.
Because the Cyrix only had a 1K cache, it was NOT as fast as the Intel,
but the AMD has an 8k cache and so performs just as well, and costs a lot
cheaper than an Intel 486DX4/100 ($109 vs. $190 at PC Club in Industry,
CA).  It is also 100% compatible with anything you can throw at it,
including FreeBSD.  Even the Intel diagnostic program that came with an
old 486 Overdrive chip passed the AMD with flying colors!

Anyway, unless your motherboard supports the 3.3 volt CPUs, you'll probably
have to get a new one, but you can find motherboards WITH the AMD DX4-100
for under $200 these days.  It's an excellent chip and I highly recommend it.

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL