Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 00:47:55 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG, wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/6508: sgmlfmt does not expand relative URLs

On 1999-04-12 22:15:39 +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 07:41:26PM +0200, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> > On 1999-04-09 14:25:14 -0700, nik@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> > > Synopsis: sgmlfmt does not expand relative URLs
> > >
> > > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> > > State-Changed-By: nik
> > > State-Changed-When: Fri Apr 9 14:24:15 PDT 1999
> > > State-Changed-Why:
> > > You can't use relative URLs in the Handbook / FAQ, because you don't
> > > know where it's going to be installed relative to the rest of the
> > > website (or even *if* it's going to be installed with the rest of
> > > the website).
> >
> > ???
> >
> > The location of the handbook (/handbook/) and the FAQ (/FAQ/)
> > is well known on the web site. The same is true for ports
> > projects, releases etc.
>
> True, but;
>
> > Our web mirrors *require* relative paths. Even a 155Mbit/s
> > Internet link is easy to overload.
>
> Only if you assume that everything will
>
>    a) be mirroring the website and the handbook,

Yes, our mirrors should be complete.

>    b) have a mirror of the form http://www.foo.bar/, and not
>       http://www.foo.bar/mirrors/FreeBSD/ (for example).

both should work, without modification, if you mirror
the pages or build the pages yourself from the sources.

	http://www.foo.bar/
	http://www.foo.bar/mirrors/FreeBSD/

> I think the correct solution is to enforce absolute paths in the website,
> coupled with the &base; entity (which we already do).  The FAQ, Handbook,
> and tutorials need to be treated differently (because they are independent
> of the website, and can be installed without the website).

I fail to see why absolute paths in the website are better than relative
links. Most FreeBSD mirrors update their pages with cvsup.
Only 2 or 3 build the mirror from the sources.

> For those we need a similar entity (but possibly called something like
> &FreeBSDURL;, because &base; is too vague) that points to wherever they
> want references to the website to resolve to.
>
> For most people, this would probably be
>
>     <!ENTITY FreeBSDURL "http://www.freebsd.org/">;
>
> For someone like yourself, who probably has a local copy of the website
> permanently installed somewhere, and a webserver running, you could
> have
>
>     <!ENTITY FreeBSDURL "http://localhost/FreeBSDMirror/">;
>
> or even
>
>     <!ENTITY FreeBSDURL "../">
>
> Each URL that refers to the site in the Handbook and FAQ then looks
> something like;
>
>     <ulink url="&FreeBSDURL;search.html">the search pages</ulink>
>
> Does that make sense?

Looks good.

> I can submit this as a separate PR, if you want.

Ok.

--
Wolfram Schneider <wosch@freebsd.org> http://wolfram.schneider.org