Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:17:00 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: special test request for 6.1-BETA1 on ATA disks

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:52:44PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:23:11PM +0100, Sten Spans wrote..
> > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >
> > >On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 12:19:11AM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote..

> > >A check of 5.5-BETA1 would be interesting too.
> >
> > I'll give it a go this weekend on my ds10
> > (which also normally runs scsi :)
>
> Looks like it is not only DS10, my 164SX has similar probs as well.
> 5.5-BETA1 and 6.1-BETA1 have it.  In total we have seen it on 2 DS10L,
> one DS10 and a 164SX now.  SCSI is just fine.

Interesting - after an Update of my PC164 from an 5.1 or even older to
a recent 5.x I noticed lot of mysterious filesystem corruptions that
did not went away after updating to 6-STABLE.
Since this is basicly a SCSI machine I moved the IDE disks to an x86.
I always had the impression of data corruption on those IDE disks, but
after the update things went much worse so there wasn't any doubt about
a real problem somewhere.
IIRC even fsck -n output was different between multiple runs.
Disk speed before and after the update had a major difference, before
it was something around 2M/s and after the update I got >10M/s.
My assumption at that time was a cabeling problem, which was triggered
by the larger speed.

bernd@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de