Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 96 16:12:56 -0600
From:      Benjamin Tomhave <tomhavbe@martin.luther.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   New user Qs

Hello!

I've been working on installing FreeBSD 2.1.0 all day today, and am now at a point
where I have some questions which I'm not having any luck answering myself.

1) I'm trying to get TCP/IP networking established, but without any luck.  I have
a 3COM 3c509 card installed.  I am trying to get the ep0 driver to load/work.  In
boot-up, it does recognize the card as being there, but it gives an error about
eeprom not reacting correctly (?).  There is not a bootROM on this card.

2) At boot-up, it appears that the kernel has my geometry as being 1600+, and only
16 heads, and 1.6 million sectors.  The numbers do not necessarily appear in this
order.  My question is, is this right?  When I installed the OS, the geometry was
set correctly.  I have 826 cylinders, 32 heads, 63 sectors.

3) Is there a way, when booting from the hard drive, to get into a system setup
screen, or anything.  As of late, I have been working on some HPs which have a
program called SAM.  Is there anything like this, or even just like the install
menu that can be accessed during runtime, or do all changes have to be done manually?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Benjamin Tomhave
Luther College