Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:16:14 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        Zbigniew Szalbot <zbigniew@szalbot.homedns.org>
Cc:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moving /home to new drive

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:46:36 +0700 (ICT), Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
> wrote:
>
>>> Or do I need to delete the
>>> symlink first and only then try to mount the new drive as /home?
>>>
>> - delete the symlink
>>
> OK
>
>> - create a directory /home
>>
> Do I create it on the existing drive and
>

>> - mount the new drive
>>
> then mount the new drive? I just want to make sure I unders
>

>> - copy the files
>>
>> You cannot mount a disk on a symlink and you cannot mount a disk until
>> you have created the mount point.
>>
> And what about samba? I just realized I will need to alter sama
> configuration becasue current /usr/home is available as a network share.
> Thank you once again!

1. Mount new disk to temporary location.
2. Copy files over to disk.
3. Update /etc/fstab while files are being copied.
4. Drop into single user mode (if production machine), and login as root
(just to avoid possible errors in programs :)..).
5. Delete files in /usr/home
6. Mount new drive at /usr/home.

    I know it's a long set of steps, but it's complete list.
    If /usr/home is a symlink you could just symlink to the permanent
mountpoint after 3., and forgo doing 4. - 6.
-Garrett