Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 97 00:14:51 -0600
From:      Kim Shrier <kim@tinker.com>
To:        freebsd-platforms@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAQ?

Michael Smith wrote:
> Kim Shrier stands accused of saying:
> > Michael Smith wrote:
> >
> > > ...  If you're
> > >talking about porting FreeBSD _to_ the PPC, then there's a gang of mad
> > >platform porters that are starting to think about what has to be done
> > >to make FreeBSD platform-friendly.
> >
> > How would one contact this band of mad platform porters?
>
> I think you've picked a fairly good place, actually.  There's various
> noise about the Alpha coming from Jordan, and some interest in a Mips
> port as well.  Terry Lambert was working on the PPC code previously; I
> understand he was using AIX as a development platform, but had some
> problems with documentation suppliers screwing him around.

> Can you tell us a little more about your plans?  Are you just looking
> for something to toy with, or do you have a plan of action of some
> sort?  Which PPC plaform are you looking at targetting?  What
> documentation do you have?  Have you looked at the NetBSD port yet?

I have no plan of action.  I like the ppc and I use FreeBSD at home and at
work.  I use my position as network administrator to displace as many
Windows NT systems as possible and replace them with FreeBSD.  I have a
133 mhz BeBox at home, which has 2 133 mhz 603e processors.  If there is an
effort to port FreeBSD to the ppc, I thought I could help in my spare time.

I haven't looked at the NetBSD port yet, but I will now.

Kim Shrier
kim@tinker.com