Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 10:22:00 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Wanted: Examples of ``good practice'' device drivers.

Robert Withrow writes:
>I've been writing device drivers and kernel code for the
>last 20 years or so, on lots of OS's including several
>versions of SYSV.  I'm now faced with converting some
>SVR4 drivers I wrote a few years ago to FreeBSD, a
>version of OS I know essentially nothing about the
>internals of.  So, while I don't need to learn *how*
>to write a ``unix device driver'', I do need to learn
>how to write a *FreeBSD* device driver.

I've started on a drivers writers guide.  I'd say you've
got quite a bit more experience than I though...  My doc
just covers bolting a driver into the kernel, and mentions
the entry points.

The doc is at http://www.freebsd.org/~erich/ddwg/ddwg.html, or
I can mail a postscript version.

As it sits now it is applicable to 2.0 2.0.5 and 2.1, but is
about to become dated w.r.t -current ;(

eric.
--
erich@lodgenet.com