Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 1998 13:55:17 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RFC 822 misconceptions

I read Greg's "Using Internet mail" at http://www.lemis.com/email.html

I then went and read RFC822.  It appears to me that RFC822 explicitly
states:

3.1.  GENERAL DESCRIPTION

          A message consists of header fields and, optionally, a body.
     The  body  is simply a sequence of lines containing ASCII charac-
     ters.  It is separated from the headers by a null line  (i.e.,  a
     line with nothing preceding the CRLF).

The line length issue only applies to header fields, which the message
body is not.

     3.4.8.  FOLDING LONG HEADER FIELDS

        Each header field may be represented on exactly one line  con-
        sisting  of the name of the field and its body, and terminated
        by a CRLF; this is what the parser sees.  For readability, the
        field-body  portion of long header fields may be "folded" onto
        multiple lines of the actual field.  "Long" is commonly inter-
        preted  to  mean greater than 65 or 72 characters.  The former
        length serves as a limit, when the message is to be viewed  on
        most  simple terminals which use simple display software; how-
        ever, the limit is not imposed by this standard.

        Note:  Some display software often can selectively fold lines,
               to  suit  the display terminal.  In such cases, sender-
               provided  folding  can  interfere  with   the   display
               software.

Can anyone point out where I have misinterpreted the RFC??

It appears to me that RFC822 does not preclude HTML formatting, or
lines longer than 72 chars.  I am not suggesting that we
can't/shouldn't, by convention, use Greg's suggestions, just that he
can't use RFC822 to back up his desire.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.