Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2000 07:31:53 -0600
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <syjef@mail.mdanderson.org>
To:        cj@vallcom.net
Cc:        freebsd@XtremeDev.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few problems with KDE 2.0

* Carl Johan Madestrand <cj@vallcom.net> writes:

> FreeBSD wrote:
>> Kent Stewart wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Is anyone else having problems with the arts sound server or is it just
>> > me?
>> > Also im unable to logout which was a problem in a previous beta of KDE 2
>> > aswell.
>>
>> I had the same problem. At one point the arts sound server went into a
>> continuous loop and I had to kill -9 it (nothing else worked). And yup, I
>> couldn't logout of KDE2 either, it would just sit there after I had
>> selected logout. I have since pkg_deleted the whole lot and went back to
>> KDE 1.x, and I will wait for KDE 2.1. 2.0 release is just way too buggy.

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-ports" in the body of the message

> In my case the sound server does not seem to work at all. Does it work for
> you or anyone else?
> Hmm, one possibly "cosmetic" bug which I noticed is that the version info
> still says kde 2.0pre.

> Quite a pity because except for these problems KDE 2.0 actually seems pretty
> neat. Quite pleased with the Konquerer web browser myself.

The only real problems I have with arts is that it doesn't startup
when I log in, but I can start it by hand and it more or less works
fine.  For some reason it can;t play mp3s, even though I think it is
supposed to.  Sometimes I have to hit the logout button twice before
it will work, but it does work.  There are a few other minor glitches,
but it basically works fine. I am now using konqueror for the lion's
share of my browsing since it makes a very capable replacement for
netscape (java doesn't always seem to work, but that is more of a
plus.)

--
Jonathan Fosburgh
Open Systems