Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 16:33:51 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Mike Hoskins wrote:

> I'm not sure if the earlier post claiming -stable use since '94 or so is
> accurate, but if it is, as another pointed out, you should have seen
> similar periods in -STABLE before now and been better prepared to avoid
> these types of situations.

'92 was Linux ... '92 moved to BSDi since Linux was lucky to run for more
then an hour once connected to the Internet ... '94 (or '95) moved to
FreeBSD since BSDi changed their pricing structuremaking it near
impossible to afford for 'the little man' ...

As for 'similar periods' ... you know, I've been running -STABLE on
desktops and low end servers over the past 5 years at the Univesrity,
slowly replacing Solaris as the applications they run permit ... so far,
in 5 years, I've *yet* to be burnt, but none of these are running near as
heavy load ... so no, other then on venus/jupiter, I haven' tnot seen
similar periods of instability ...