Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 11:21:14 -0800
From:      iratus@home.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "easy installation"!!!!! yeah right

At 09:54 10/31/99 -0900, you wrote:

>> I still stand by my contention that we need something for the
>> joe enduser crowd, rather than rely on Penguin Basic Training,
>> (although that method seems to work, too).
>>
>> Bob

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
>
>What you need is documentation that not only tells you how to configure
>but also explains what it is your going to have when you get through.
>
>It would also help quite a bit if there were some information about how
>and why this configuration was established in the first place.
>
>Following the manuals and book helps you get the job done but after your
>through, you don't know what you have or in some cases what to do with
>it.
>
>Rusty

I really don't want to start a flame war but you might consider the
following since what you seek is there: The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey,
almost any basic book on Unix as BSD is a well know unix version, the
FreeBSD handbook which is included with the various distributions (2.*, 3.*
etc), all of the man pages (though I agree they are a handful just to
interpret in some cases), if you are headed for guruhood a look at the
original 4.4BSD series is nice, and a search of Amazon.com will show you
more then I think just about anybody could remember. As an aside, if you
don't know what you have after you are done perhaps time with any of the
aforesaid books should be spent BEFORE you install. Its really all there if
you just look, though it has been my experiance that "handholding" is
probably in short supply though IMHO, this isn't that big a deal. Just my
2cents worth.  Jeff Phillips