Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 12:23:35 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two Junior Kernel Hacker tasks..

> make buildkernel is rather easy way to work it around: in
> any case object tree is machine-dependent, and one yet
> another directory does not destroy anything. ;|

The "make buildkernel" approach sucks for incremental
builds, since you are unable to avoid the "config" run
each time, and a lot of unnecessary stuff gets compiled
again because of opt_*.h files whose contents have not
changed (even if you defeat the clean of the compile
directory).

The "make release" process has similar problems, for
that matter.  Too bad no one seems willing to commit
incremental fixes towards cleaning that up, or, when
they are willing (as in this case), people argue that
it's unnecessary, and nothing ever gets done.

I think they should "go for it" with the architecture
specific config directories (though I would point out
that they can achieve this effect already, with the
correct "config" arguments -- I do agree it should be
the default).

-- Terry