Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2006 09:16:01 -0400
From:      Randall Stewart <rrs@cisco.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        Peter Lei <peterlei@cisco.com>, Michael Tuexen <tuexen@fh-muenster.de>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some interesting plots

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Randall Stewart <rrs@cisco.com> writes:
>
>>As you all may know I have been working on getting SCTP
>>into Current..
>>
>>I have been, of late, trying to tweak things to get
>>the BEST performance out of the implementation...
>

> the first rule of software optimization: don't do it
>
> the second rule of software opimization (for experts only): don't do it yet
>
> DES
When I started optimizing a couple of years ago.. (this is
probably the 3rd or 4th pass of it) the SCTP implementation
would not get more than 300M on the current
configuration I illustrated... I am now up to 750M ...
along the way I have fixed numerous bugs ... having
been in this business almost 25 years now I humbly disagree :-)

Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
803-345-0369 <or> 815-342-5222 (cell)