Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 13:44:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@housing1.stucen.gatech.edu>
To:        mishania@demos.su
Cc:        smp@csn.net, bag@sinbin.demos.su, mishania@demos.su, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: troubles with smp kernel

Mikhail A. Sokolov wrote...

[ ... deleted ... ]

	I don't have much time to write just now, but I figured I'd send a
few suggestions since I've got a very similar setup to yours.  (I've got an
ASUS P/I-P65UP5 with 2 P6-200's as well, 128MB RAM, Adaptec 3940UW, a
Matrox Millineum, 3 SMC-type network cards, and a gravis ultrasound in my
machine)

> P.S. kernel 'config':
> {fyllefrossa}/home/mishania> more /sys/i386/conf/FYLLEFROSSA
> #
> # GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
> #
> # For more information read the handbook part System Administration ->
> # Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel -> The Configuration File.
> # The handbook is available in /usr/share/doc/handbook or online as
> # latest version from the FreeBSD World Wide Web server
> # <URL:http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/>;
> #
> # An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
> # device lines is present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
> # in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
> #
> #       $FreeBSD$
>
> machine         "i386"
> cpu             "I686_CPU"
> ident           FYLLEFROSSA
> maxusers        32
>
> options         MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation

	You should probably take this *out* of the system, unless you're
trying the patch that Brian Litzinger sent to force the system to use FP
emulation.  When I accidentally left MATH_EMULATE in my config file, X, or
really any FP worth mentioning would lock up the machine.  This *could* be
the problem you're experiencing.

> options         INET                    #InterNETworking
> options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
> options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
> options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
> options         SCSI_DELAY=15           #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
> options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS          #include support for DMA bounce buffers

	You really don't need BOUNCE_BUFFERS unless you've got an Adaptec
1542 or some other ISA card that does 24-bit DMA.  I didn't see one in your
dmesg output..

> options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
> options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
> options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
>
> config          kernel  root on wd0

	This should probably be 'root on sd0' if you've only got SCSI
disks, but I'm not sure how much it matters...someone else could comment
more on that.

> controller      isa0
> controller      pci0
>
> controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
> disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
>
> controller      ahc0
>
> controller      scbus0
>
> device          sd0
>
> # syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
> device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
> # Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
> # Mandatory, don't remove
> device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr
>
> # Order is important here due to intrusive probes, do *not* alphabetize
> # this list of network interfaces until the probes have been fixed.
> # Right now it appears that the ie0 must be probed before ep0. See
> # revision 1.20 of this file.
> device de0
>
> pseudo-device   loop
> pseudo-device   ether
> pseudo-device   log
> pseudo-device   tun     1
> pseudo-device   pty     16
> pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's
>
> # KTRACE enables the system-call tracing facility ktrace(2).
> # This adds 4 KB bloat to your kernel, and slightly increases
> # the costs of each syscall.
> options         KTRACE          #kernel tracing
> options         "MAXMEM=(1024*256)"
> options SMP   #mishania
> options NCPU=2 # number of CPUs   #mishania
> options NBUS=4 # number of busses   #mishania
> options NAPIC=1 # number of IO APICs   #mishania
> options NINTR=16 # number of INTsA   #mishania

	Even though mptable tells you to use NINTR=16, I'd suggest bumping
it to 24 anyway, in case you add any more cards..

> options APIC_IO    # Steven.
> options SMP_INVLTBL    # Steven.

	I think someone else already mentioned it, but that should be:

options SMP_INVLTLB

	I think that's TLB as in "Table Lookaside Buffer".

	Anyway, if you think it will help, I can mail you my kernel config
file.

Good luck,

Ken
--