Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 16:22:04 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, developers@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

At 12:03 PM 2/5/2003, Gordon Tetlow wrote:

>core has made their decision. When they were elected, you entrusted them
>to make hard decisions like this.

When *who* elected them? I certainly had no vote.

Right now, -core is, in a very real sense, self-electing. They
decide who gets a commit bit, and the people with the commit bits
vote for -core.

Sort of like the situation with George Bush and the US Supreme
Court. A predecessor of the same party appointed the judges, who
made Bush president out of partisan loyalty even though he lost
the popular vote and the election results were irreparably tainted
by illegally designed ballots.

Much corporate malfeasance is due to a similar phenomenon: The CEO
brings in Board members, who owe loyalty to the CEO due to the perks
he grants them.

In all of these cases we see failures of governance due to
organizational design that does not properly anticipate vested
interests and feedback loops related to them.

--Brett