Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 1997 08:15:17 +1000
From:      James Seng <jseng@pobox.org.sg>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Security)
Subject:   Re: rebooting problems

I am running my 2.1.6-based server and it would reboot itself automatically
every now and then. The server is a Pentium-166, 128Mb RAM, 512Mb swap (and
with AHC2940 too..hmmm). The kernel is compiled to the minimum removing all
unneccessary devices.

I wrote some script to check on the system status every minute and it is
found that the system is perfectly fine when it reboots.  ie, the CPU load
is less than 1, the free RAM is over 30Mb, the swap isnt even used! It just
reboot out of the blue.

On the other two 2.1.6-base server however (with a similar setup), which is
less heavy on RAM, it doesnt appears to have this problem. Neither does it
appears on my 2.1.5-base server. All three machines has the same hardware
(right down the harddisk and monitor). Even the kernal config file used is
the same....

It is driving me crazy *sigh*

-James Seng

At 06:22 AM 3/3/97 -0500, Security Administrator wrote:
>A quick question:
>
>Every five to six days or so my 2.1.7-based system reboots.  There doesn't
seem to be ANYTHING present in the logs to explain this phenomena.
Everything seems to be stable and then it suddenly reboots.

>If this is something that someone else has confronted, I would love to
know how you mended the problems.

>My system is a P6-200 with an Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI-III controller, 128
Megs