Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 15:01:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stewart Morgan <stewart@BITS.bris.ac.uk>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AIC-7895<>SMP w/Pentium II's

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:

> In regard to the Tyan Thunder 2 (S1696DLUA):
>
> >         Yes, yes and correct! :) I've finally managed to get the above setup to
> > work (thanks to all those who posted replies!)
> >
> >         There are a few catches (aren't there always):
> >
> >         1) You'll need the CAM SCSI layer (ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam)
> >
> >         2) and for that to work, I needed the source tree from 25th Dec 97
> >                 (ftp://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/pub/unix/FreeBSD/3.0-971225-SNAP).
> >
> >         BTW, if you want to boot with the SCSI support, you'll need the boot images
> >                 (ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/incoming/cam-boot.tgz).
> >
> >         Hope this is of use!
> >
> >    Apart from that, things now seem to be going swimmingly! :)
>
> Do you have AMI or Award BIOS on this board?  I seem to recall it
> is available with either.

	It's an AMI BIOS.

> Is there any problem with getting the board to use different
> interrupts with your PCI devices?

	I've not actually needed to, and consequentially not tried, tried
re-assigning IRQs if that's what you mean. Though I've had no trouble with
the (PCI part of the) PCI devices: EtherExpress Pro, both SCSI channels, USB
and miscelaneous on-board chips.

>  Does SMP work properly also?

	As yet, I've had no problems - but I've not attempted putting a major
load on the box... I'm still tinkering :)

> [ I'm considering this board along with the similar ASUS PII
>   Dual CPU with Adaptec SCSI also ]

	The only real trouble I've had was with AIC-7895 chipset support.

	The box was a little tempremental on boot, but I think it's the monitor /
video card comination - basically, the system would hang if I switched on
with the video cable plugged in. It's fine if I power up with out the cable
(and re-attach shortly after) and on warm/cold boots.. it's just the initial
power on..???!?!? Bizzarre! :)

	The motherboard's great! :)

	Has any body else had this trouble?

> Dan Eischen
> deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org

Stewart
Systems-Representative & Joint Systems Administrator

BITS - Bristol Information Technology Society
University of Bristol Student's Union, Bristol, England

E-Mail: stewart@BITS.bris.ac.uk
WWW   : http://www.BITS.bris.ac.uk/stewart/