Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 14:02:36 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        jayanth <jayanth@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory leak in the routing table ?

>Were there any issues related to a memory leak in the routing table ?
>I am running freebsd-stable.
>After a few days vmstat -m shows the memory used by routing table to be
>very high and log messages  "arpresolve: cant allocate llinfo for
>a.b.c.d"
>"arplookup a.b.c.d failed could not allocate llinfo" , keep repeating
>for
>every ip address that requires an arp entry to be created.

   This is caused by a screwup in your network configuration, probably the
netmask, such that the kernel hears the ARP broadcast from a peer, but doesn't
know how to respond since it doesn't think that the requestor's IP address is
reachable.

>I turned on "route -v monitor" and started getting the following
>messages
>"RTM_MISS: Lookup failed on this address" for most addresses.

   See above.

>"netstat -arn" revealed routes that had a refcnt 0 zero but were not
>being freed. However, I think the UP flag was on for each of the routes.

   No, zero refcnt routes are just clone routes that haven't aged out of the
route cache yet. This does not indicate a route leak.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com