Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 11:53:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamil Weatherbee <support@cdrom.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD installation problem (fwd)

	Technical Support
	Walnut Creek CDROM

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 07:55:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Robert J. Rubin" <rubin@sequel.com>
To: support@cdrom.com
Subject: FreeBSD installation problem

Hi.

I've got the January 1996 FreeBSD 2.1 CDROM, and I'm having some
installation problems.  I know you guys didn't write it, but I'm hoping
that you've seen my problem before.  (I tried posting to
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, but didn't get much of a response :-( ).

I a nutshell, I'm attempting to install on a 486/66 VLB w/ 16M RAM.
The only hardware in the machine is a non-VLB IDE controller with 2
drives a Mitsumi CD-ROM, and a VLB Mach 32 video board (I also tried a
Trident I had laying around).  Before booting, I disable all other
non-essential hardware (including all serial ports, network boards, all
other disk controllers, etc...).

The installation will hang immediately after "writing paritition
information." The screen hangs with that message, though I believe it
actually gets written.  I can see the partitions have been defined if a
reboot and go through fdisk again.

I connected the hard drive and CD-ROM to a Pentium 133 and loaded the
OS with no problem.  Once connecting the loaded drive back onto the
486, it hangs during boot after a fsck'ing the file systems.

And ideas?

Thanks,
	-Robert

--