Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 1999 02:29:12 +1000
From:      Joe Shevland <J_Shevland@Turnaround.com.au>
To:        "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-xircom@lovett.com
Subject:   Re: Xircom 10/100 + 56kbps PCMCIA cards

"Douglas K. Rand" wrote:

> I added the FreeBSD-Xircom list to the CC

Cheers, I thought thats where I sent it :)

> Joe> Actually, one thing I'm trying to do (and haven't had that much
> Joe> experience with) is booting off the 3.1-RELEASE boot floppies to
> Joe> install 3.1-STABLE onto my laptop [via the Xircom driver].
>
> Joe> Any ideas on the best way to do this?
>
> Well, visit http://www.cdrom.com and buy the CD.  :)

The beasts as cdrom.com have sent my 2.2.8 and 3.1 CD's into limbo
somewhere :( I've since cancelled my subscription but will renew it now
I've finished moving house for the 5000th time. Geez I hate moving...

> Not the answer you were probably hoping for, but what you propose
> sounds difficult. You'll need pccardd running, a working
> /etc/pccard.conf, and the xe driver to work. Probably dificult to do
> on a boot floppy.
> If you can't install via CD, I'd do the instalation via PPP or a
> parallel port IP connection. If you are installing onto a slice of
> your disk, and the other slice has Windoss and a couple of hundred MB
> free, download the distribution to c:\release and install from there.

This sounds highly sneaky :) I've got a spare 5 gig or so on the Windoze
partition so I should be OK. Now, what is the exact format for that
c:\release directory? Or do I pull down everything under, say,
3.1-STABLE, into this directory exactly as it appears on the FTP server?

Cheers,
Joe.